Friday, July 24, 2020

When the Waves Roared

On August 4th, I will be releasing my first album, When the Waves Roared, through digital platforms (Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, Google Play, etc.). It features a collection of songs about challenge and triumph.

I'm thrilled about the upcoming album because, not only is it my first full-length work, but it also blossomed in ways I couldn't have imagined. The youth chorus in the bridge of the opening song, Let No Darkness, is a favorite part of the album. I feel so fortunate to have had several of the young people in my neighborhood and my own children add their talent to the music.

I was also able to collaborate with some of my favorite musicians, including the following:
Matt Meldrum, the excessively talented bass player, singer, songwriter, guitarist, and, yes, keyboardist for the Sons of Nothing
Allison Drinkwater Johnson, my wife, a fine vocalist and musician
Klay Gustin, atmospheric guitarist and fellow Midnight Oil super fan
Matthew Thomas Nagel, ripping guitarist on Ode to the Songstress
Eddie Sticks, drums on Silent Crusade and Joshua Beside Me

Speaking of Silent Crusade, that was a really fun project. By far, my biggest production to date. Most of it was recorded years ago for a Gene Clark compilation album (it is the only cover on When the Waves Roared). However, I was never happy with the original version we recorded. I had Eddie Stix record the drums again after the compilation album on a different kit, and really liked the result. So, I fished the tracks out of the archives, did a wee bit of editing, and you will soon hear the result. Members of the Celtic band Stonecircle played the lovely 12 string guitar, flute, and fiddle parts.

More to come as the release gets closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment